On Wednesday the twins turned 7. On Tuesday Tommy was sick with a stomach bug. So by Wednesday afternoon, as I was dragging myself through Target looking for birthday gifts, I realized two things:
-I wasn't doing the best job choosing birthday presents for these two--I couldn't get my brain to focus on the task at hand. The toy department seemed overwhelming, and this was because...
-I was going to be sick. Probably right after cake and ice cream.
So not the best timing on my part, but at least I was able to keep it together through Wednesday and not totally ruin the birthdays. I still felt guilty though, enough so that I spent more on the birthday presents than I had intended. And I bought Jon a guitar, which I think says quite a lot about my mental state. I'm not sure a guitar for a seven year old is the wisest purchase, considering this seven year old has a little brother that wants nothing more than to subject the instrument to some rigorous stomp testing--plus not to mention Jos, a force of unintentional destruction. So anyway,
The "party" was alright. Earlier in the day I had managed to whip up a dirt cake, and thanks to Pie and those rotisserie chickens at the grocery, I really didn't have to cook. We went straight for the presents after dinner. As these pictures show, the dress code was rather more relaxed than our usual family parties, what with the nudity and all (Jon is shirtless and Josie is pantsless and Tommy is diaper-nakey, all common choices here in the Konchar home, just not usually during planned events) but it is what it is. And I was just happy to make it through the evening. Yesterday was a different story. I spent yesterday wishing for unconsciousness. But we don't need to get into that.
5 comments:
SO happy to find another family that has the "clothing optional" clause!! Gabbie is a kindred spirit in the diaper nakey dept. And hey, at least Josie picked a shirt to wear, and Jon picked the pants. Good taste, all around! I think Target's sign stands for something other than just an innocent Target, because my kids have tossed their cookies many a time in one -- right on TARGET. Way to be a tough barfy mom and soldier on through.
Happy Birthday Jon and Josie!! That cake looked so good!. I like very causual parties myself!. I hope you are feeling better Julie!
oh that looks fun. i wish i hadn't forgotten all about it. that is because i refuse to believe they are 7. that is WAY too old.
I hope you feel better, Julie. Looks like you guys had fun and the guitar was a hit. You'll have to let me know how it holds up. Grace is asking for a drum set! Yeah right...not going to happen any time soon, or at least not until a room is soundproof.
I found your blog through twink's! I can't believe the twins are 7! They're getting so old...good thing I'm not getting any older.
Post a Comment