Friday, August 29, 2008

Self Portraits

Josie and Jon brought home some art work today. Self portraits. It is always interesting to me to see what lurks in the minds of my children, especially regarding how they see themselves. One of the "fun" parts of having 2 kids the same age is comparing them to each other and seeing who is better, smarter, more obedient, fresher smelling, etc. Just kidding. But it is amusing as a parent to take the standard truth of "they are all so different" and apply it to two kids the same age, with the same upbringing--two kids who have been together nearly every waking moment of their lives--wombmates--and see how things turn out. Well, their art work turned out better than my attempts to photograph them (add photography to the list of things I can't even fake convincingly) and so I apologize. Darn flash--these portraits were laminated! Anyway, please note the careful placement of each feature and line on Jon's picture, and contrast it with Josie's, shall we say, joie de vivre. Jon's picture even looks concerned. Josie's looks like she might break into cartwheels. Kids. A hoot, I tell ya.

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

Okay, so I always thought how funny it is how girls are always all about defining themselves, right? What you like to do, listen to, eat, play with, etc. And guys just...are. And really don't care much sometimes either way. Good ol' Jon. Doesn't even bother naming himself on his portrait. SO hilarious, Julie!

TheBenandKaties said...

The first thing that I thought of when I saw Josie's was, "Ha, awesome lazy eye!" but then I looked again and realized that it is not a lazy eye, it is the eye of a girl who has got way too much going on at once and can't afford to look in just one direction. Jon just looks shocked at something that his sister has done, which I'm sure is a common enough expression.

rebecca said...

These are keepers, for sure! I love them both...they make me laugh, although Jon's ears kind of scare me.