Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Jon

Looking back over the posts I have written for this "family" blog, I realize that certain children, my monkey children, have dominated these pages. I find myself writing more about Josie and Tommy not because I am partial to them, but rather their antics make for good copy. Well, I do have other children. One of them is Jon. Jon is Josie's twin and as such is called upon to bear burdens that we may never fully understand. I like to joke (and by joke I mean I'm not actually joking) that Jon has already earned a place for himself in heaven just by virtue of his womb mate. Because as delightful as that girl is, she certainly is no walk in the park. More like a ride on one of those rickety Ferris Wheels at the county fair. You've got your Ups, you've got your Downs, and most of the time you are just praying she holds together.

So next to Jos, Jon can appear somewhat on the bland side. Well, this post is here to share some Jonny love and educate you on some things about Jon that you may not know. Such as:

When he was a little guy he was actually quite shy. It wasn't until he was about 4 that he turned into a total ham. We suppose this development of his personality is a function of his place in the family. He's not the oldest, he's not the only girl, and he is not the baby.

Jon is a natural dancer. Like, Stake Dance dancer. He has got some moves that are pretty sweet. He also has got some moves I'm pretty sure they do not allow at Church sponsored events. Just a natural gift, I guess.

He loves the ladies. His first day of kindergarten he came home and told me (in his sweet Elmer Fudd voice, which I wish I could imitate for you now because I do a pretty fantastic imitation):
Mom, I met a beautiful gull today in cwass.
Really? What's her name?
I don't know dat part yet, but she is a beautiful gull. Weally wuvwy. I'm gonna marry dat gull.

Jon will share his last crumb with his sister. Even though he knows that Josie, if asked to part with just one fry from a whole bag of French Fries, will search through the pile, desperately seeking the smallest, hardest little stub of a fry she can find.

Jon will walk up to me or Pie several times a day for an attack smooch, hug, and the question "Hey Mom (or Dad), how about some luvin here?" And he has been known to look at his sister and say "Wow Jos! You look really beautiful in that dress!", and by so doing, leaves himself in danger of being socked in the arm

Jon wants to be good. When he has made some poor choices, I can't be there wagging my finger at him. He brings the hurt all on himself:
Oh, I know I totally blew it!
I'm like Jesus' worst kid!
I feel like junk!
Well, contrary to what he sometimes thinks, he's not even close to Jesus' worst kid. He is funny and sweet and just because he doesn't show up very often in this blog, that doesn't mean we couldn't do without him. I'm just saying, who else could put up with Josie like he does?
(Note on the above photo. Jon begged me to get a picture of him riding his bike. My camera was too slow--plus I am too lame--so every time I took the picture he was nearly out of the frame. I decided this picture was appropriate to the post, which was all about how Jon often gets overlooked in the group. And sure enough, when I looked back over my TONS of pictures, it was hard to find one with just him in it. Bad mommy!)

3 comments:

rebecca said...

I loved reading this post about your Jon. What a sweetheart. Julie, I can't imagine having twins, but you've got it down. What a mommy! Tell Jon there's a "wuvwy gull" in MA he'll have to meet someday, so stay sweet. Grace may be more up Josie's alley, but hey, I'm happy to play matchmaker with my friends' kids and mine:):)

the binghams. said...

i love that little guy. he is one of my five favorites of your kids. Its hard to have one favorite since they are all so different and easy to love. But I do love how loving he is... none of the other ones want their aunt kirsten to snuggle them quite that much.

errin julkunen-pedersen said...

"jesus' worst kid" had me laughing so hard...i had planned on typing up a witty retort, but it is late, and my wits are not about me...