Well, Art School this week has taken a while to get going, what with Monday and Tuesday being dominated by our trip into the wilds near Sedalia, and stuff. Yesterday we really did do an Art School project, but it hasn't been fully actualized yet--and so I'm only going to give you a few hints about it. (Hopefully it doesn't end up looking like junk.)
Since we are getting close to my favorite holiday, Halloween, yesterday we made a series of silhouettes suitable for the occasion. After printing up some cat silhouettes from the Internet, we used enamel paints to paint over the cat outlines onto glass panels removed from picture frames. I was able to get 3 black frames at JoAnn's for $15 total. I was hoping for a project that involved lots of messy paint for the children to smear around, and this craft did not disappoint.
Note: Calvin reluctantly participated in this craft, but painted his cat in a flash. He left before I could take his picture and was back up the street at Spencer's house playing the new Batman Lego video game (clearly Spencer is blessed with parents who love him more than we love our Calvin.)
And then today: We made salt dough ghosts. They are baking now and tomorrow we will paint them. Does this project sound like kind of a cop-out? Because I was hoping it wouldn't be that obvious. Jon finished his lump of dough in about 5 minutes and was off to watch Drake and Josh. Conversely, Tommy is still carting around the wad of dough I gave him 2 hours ago. I found the most difficult (and surprising!) aspect of this project to be the challenge of creating ghosts that didn't suspiciously resemble p-h-a-l-l-i-c tribal art.
Tomorrow is the last day of Off Track and Art School!
2 comments:
Josie's cat looks great! I'm going to jazz up our Halloween this year and put some silhouettish stuff in our windows. We're also going to make a big 'ol milk jug skeleton. My kids have been jipped all these years with our festive decor coming entirely from art class at school. Poor souls.
Okay, those are actually VERY cool projects, Julie. I'd like to come to one of your weeklong schools one of these days when I'm off track.
Post a Comment