Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cookin School Night Class: Dinner

Today Cookin School was pushed back to tonight, on account of today being gymnastics for the twins and because yesterday's class so thoroughly trashed the kitchen, it took a while to hose the place down. All day long the kids kept asking me, "When is Cookin School gonna start?" and "What are we gonna do for Cookin School?" I played coy with them because I really didn't have a plan for class today, and so I kept saying "oh, pretty soon" to buy myself some time to come up with a great idea. And it worked! At 6:00 I came up with the great idea of making dinner for Cookin School!

But before we get to dinner, I wanted to show you lunch. Today we drank lunch, because it was one of those lazy days, you know, where I just couldn't face the chewing. The kids all laughed when I told them to come and drink their lunch. I'm always saying hilarious little things like that! What is still missing in this blender is the spinach and the blueberries and the strawberries. These shakes are da bomb. Just ask Jon, he drank two.


Finally, Cookin School. We are going it tonight without Calvin, because of Scouts. Aren't my little pupils adorable? Josie thoughtfully brought the teacher an apple. And then she thoughtfully put it back in the fridge for tomorrow's class.


Tonight's dinner will be Angel Hair pasta (though I am against food products that mention hair. It just sounds so distasteful) with zucchini, summer squash and onions, all from our neighbor's garden. Making all of this palatable is the addition of a cheesy sauce. First, we cut up the vegetables.

While Jon stirs the white sauce, Josie stirs the vegetables (after ditching her super warm pajamas), and learns why I rarely saute without a shirt on. Lots of sizzling vegetables spitting at her. But she bravely soldiers on.

Jon stirring the cheese sauce. So can that boy grow a head of hair or what? Haircuts are coming soon.

Ah, my little cooking slaves. (And folks, that suspicious bottle at Jon's left is olive oil.)
Finally! The finished product. They are so proud (and naked). The dinner may not look like much, but they ate the whole thing. Except Tommy. He didn't.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's post and find out what we did. (And if you have any ideas for tomorrow, email me tonight. I'll be up late, awaiting your thoughts on the subject.)

3 comments:

the binghams. said...

hmmm that looks good.
i love Jon wafting it up to his cute little nose. I am waiting for Nic to get off the phone with his friend who got hit by a semi today (you can't rush that call) so we can spray-adhesive our design and color projects by our 8 am class tomorrow. what i really want to do is sleep though. so bad.

i think something desserty is in order. maybe a cookie buffet (pronounced buff-fet)

shayla said...

Um....Jos is a little naked!!!! I guess all of them are--what kind of cooking school do you run, anyway?!

What a good momma you are. I love your green smoothies...they really make things move and shake if you know what i mean. So do you not add any OJ or yogurt or anything? You must have one powerful blender cause mine just wouldn't move without some liquid somethin' somethin' ....

My Five Little Monkeys said...

Kirsten: I believe it is pronounced "BOO-fey".
Shay: Josie is naked, her natural state of being, although I think I should point out she IS wearing underpants. But they all stripped off their clothes by the end of this. Maybe this is what is going on on all those popular cooking shows. Smoothies: I usually add OJ unless like today I have an orange. I added water to today's. The shake was finished off with 3/4 of a scoop of whey protein powder. Really makes it yummy-licious, although you have to go easy on it. Too much and the shakes don't have that "cleansing effect" that you hinted at. And isn't that the point of a shake like this in the morning?