Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cookin School, BREAD DAY


A note on Cookin School: My inspiration for the theme of our first week of Off-Track activities, Cookin School, comes from a conversation between Hank Hill and his son Bobby on an episode of my much-beloved but rarely watched show "King of the Hill"

Bobby: Dad, can I go to Cookin School?
Hank: Bobby, one day I'll be dead. And that's the day you can go to Cookin School.

Monday, BREAD DAY, began Cookin School this week. I borrowed my mom's KitchenAid, wheat grinder and wheat, and we went shopping for chocolate chips. The project: Make whole wheat bread in addition to banana chocolate chip mini loaves. After we were all well-scrubbed and wearing our aprons we gathered around the island for some tips on reading a recipe and then some hands-on training. Yes, I realize the irony of ME, a rather inept cook, teaching cookin school. But I think I can take comfort in the knowledge that no one was listening to a word I said.



Tommy in his apron (or in his case a white pillow case), levitating. I can't believe I didn't flip this photo before I posted it. But now I have no idea how to fix it.


Some very jubilant children.


Watching the dough being kneaded. Mind your fingers, children! The recipe made enough dough for four full sized loaves. After the bread, we were on to the delicious and much more popular banana chocolate chip mini loaves.


Mashing the bananas. Probably the day's highlight. After that, it was time for the day's lowlight. After much dancing and wiggling, it was suggested to Jon to head off to the potty. After he came back and after he washed his hands he and Calvin were involved in some bread making gaiety that was so funny, so overpoweringly hilarious that there was nothing for Jon to do but pee all over the ottoman that was being used for a step stool in the kitchen. Josie and Calvin quickly skedaddled and Jon was politely escorted into the nearby laundry room while I patiently cleaned up--with nothing but compassion lighting upon my brow and empathy issuing from my lips. Tommy, atop the island, narrated the scene "Jon in trouuuuuuble". And so maybe a few things other than empathy escaped my lips. In his defence, though, Jon did mention that when earlier he had gone off to the potty, he realized upon his arrival that he no longer needed to use the facilities, so he turned around. Makes sense to me.


Tommy enjoying his small, filthy wad of bread dough that he happily squished in his little hands for well over half an hour. I'm considering bringing each of the children similar wads of dough for the first hour of church next week.

Our banana chocolate chip mini loaves. They turned out very cute and very delicious and because they were so small I ate nearly four of them and completely ruined my dinner.

One of our whole wheat bread loaves. Believe me when I say this was the "pretty one". I thought it was quite tasty with butter and jam. The children though, were all about the banana bread.

Hurray for Cookin School!

4 comments:

rebecca said...

I'm sure Christina wants Josie's pj's....and I want to come to cookin school! You are a riot and it looks like the kids had fun. Pee in your pants fun no less!

Michaelson Family said...

I am totally going to volunteer you for an enrichment night "cooking school"...then maybe we would both attend.

Adrienne said...

Anytime youleave the "g" off the end of words, you know it's good/gross times. Like my brother Doug and his "bowl O' puddin'", which was the only thing he knew how to make. He would bring said bowl to many a function, no one would touch it, which he was fine with, since he got all the puddin' to himself later. Just him, a mixing bowl, a spoon and a lot of.... Yeah, it was sick.
So when you called it cookin school, I think you were askin for some peein. Thanks for nearly making all of us wet our pants from laughin.

the binghams. said...

This reminds me of when Pam is drunk in the Dundies episode and she falls off her chair and Michael says: that he killed, almost, because of Pam falling off her chair. Your cooking school was so fun Jon had nothing to do but pee his pants. poor little dear. I hope he grows out of that before middle school, that really ruined a day in 7th grade for me.

this is inspiring- you are such a good momma