Thursday, September 18, 2008

Outdoor Ed: Day 4

I was thinking yesterday that I should really up my outdoor ed game and take the kids to the rec center. We have four of them in Highlands Ranch and each of them are free. (That is, if you consider paying an HOA fee of $120 per quarter "free" which I do, because I don't have to pony up any visible cash when I visit these centers of rec.) There is a fifth local rec center, but it is not free. Because of this we all consider it to be the "most desirable" and the "most fun"and therefore yesterday when I was planning our outing I immediately decided to treat ourselves to all the joy that a $10 entrance fee implies.
The Lone Tree Rec Center, the place where we hoped all our dreams would come true:

I think this giant slide has something to do with the rec center's appeal:

This somewhat-smaller-yet-menacing Octopus slide (you slide out the back) is a fine example of the kind of work a designer who hates all children produces. Who could predict that a giant octopus straddling atop a slide could possibly frighten young people? A note: This is how crowded the pool was. We were the only family there. There were also three unexplained men in the hot tub.


Immediately upon entering, my three middles raced off to slide down the gigantic slide. Wouldn't you? Tommy felt the same way but was denied on the basis that he was "a foot too short". This began a chain of events wherein he yelled and cried and sulked and I acted like I didn't mind a bit. It was fun. He was loud. But I learned years ago to forget being embarrassed and shamed by my kids' behavior. They are their own, angry little people! I cannot he held responsible for their feelings. So instead I focused my shame where it belonged: On my body in my swimsuit. Because that is something I can be blamed for, the body that me and Hostess built.

What a fun time we were having!

Oh look, Tommy! Jon is climbing up the stairs to slide down the slide! Wave to Jon!

Look how cute you are in your SpongeBob hooded towel! They match your water wings! Good thing you've still got those on.

After much patience on my part and endless whining on Tommy's part, I finally managed to calm him down by letting him look at a picture of himself dressed as Batman that was still on the camera. He took great comfort in looking at this picture.

Some pruny children in the Lazy River.

Taking comfort in Mother's loving embrace. (Don't you think I look somewhat busty in this picture? I said, somewhat busty.)

On why I think I could be a spy: I noticed this guy hanging out at the pool and he spent the entire time on his cell phone. He didn't have anyone he was watching at the pool and so I couldn't figure out why he would choose to try and combine swimming and cell-phone chatting. Later, he and I had a very personal interaction of a delicate nature in the Lazy River, a story I plan on relating to you on my black blog at a later time. I decided to take his picture while we were sitting out and I think I did a fantastic job of both photography and stealth because after the flash went off and he stopped his phone conversation and turned his head to look at me, I sat there without making eye-contact, enthralled in showing Tommy the camera and telling him "this is a camera". So I now know I could totally be a covert agent.

Breaking from the tears to bring us all the timeless joy called "child in over sized, upside down sunglasses". Nice work, Tommy!

Ah dang! The happy moment is past!

3 comments:

rebecca said...

Too bad you don't take Outdoor Ed students from MA. My big kids would love this.
Tommy is a hoot, LOVE the Batman photo:) I couldn't agree more that it's pointless to be embarrassed over your child's meltdowns. I just pick up the pace and skidaddle (how's THAT for a word?), and look forward to the peace of mind I'll gain while said child is in time out once we get home.

the binghams. said...

i think that last picture would be an ideal christmas card if only sid wasn't in middle school and unable to attend "outdoor" (what is outdoor about this indoor pool?) ed. I think it perfectly captures calvin, josie and tommy- jon looks a bit morose though.

oh every highlands ranchers wishes they lived in lone tree. ADMIT IT!!!

shayla said...

So it's 'off track' time, technically still summer, and the beautiful pool with said slide and octupus thingy is EMPTY except for cell phone guy and Konchar Monkeys. Whas' up with that? And yes, apparently you do have some pillows for Tommy to cuddle on. Your cell phone friend and picture-taking reminded me of a story....I'll comment on it when you post about it. What a fun mom you are...what a fun outdoor ed trip. Do they even know how good they have it? Tell 'em I said so. And I didn't know your mom lived near you--what fun for your kids. How expensive is your area? We're bleeding poor here in SD and are thinking of skipping states.