Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Outdoor Ed: It's a Surprise.

And the surprise is, we had our hair cut and went to gymnastics instead of doing any sort of Outdoor Ed! Tuesdays around the Konchar household means one thing, GYMNASTICS! I leave Sid and Calvin in charge of messing up the house with Tommy, and I take Jos and Jon to gymnastics--blasting Weezer the whole way there and back--because it gets us in a real tumbly mood.

Gymnastics file photo. Sweaty. Laden with snack treats, or what I like to call "Dinner". But today we added a little something special to our day, and that was hair cuts for all (except Sid).

Remember this from Sunday? Yes yes, those are the Wonder Woman boots I wore to church, but I was actually referring to the moppish head of hair that wee Tommy is sporting.
Need more evidence that the kids were looking like sheep dogs? Take a look at Jon yesterday after his "pre-haircut" tub. He posed himself for that second picture.
I used to take the kids to Fantastic Sam's (Motto: Meh haircut? You should be so lucky!) but when my good friend Stephanie graduated from Beauty School (I'm pretty sure that's what they call it) last year and she opened her own salon in her newly-finished basement and she only charges $15 per child and she doesn't accept tips and she lives on my very street and she allows herself to be tricked into having my kids as her clients, well I said "Sign me up!" And I have never regretted the decision!
Here is Tommy's haircut. A squishy blanket is an ideal item to hold during a haircut.....because its a blanket and therefore stays super hair-free. See how awesome Stephanie is? She scissor cuts the boys' hair. Those crack moms at Sam's just buzz the whole thing, but a professional like Stephanie knows better. Stephanie taught me that.
Looking good!
Stephanie also styles the boys' hair with super yummy smelling gel. I was sniffing this boy to death after his cut.
Josie doesn't get her hair cut very often, because why? But today was a special day. She really doesn't know what to do with herself in that chair, having to look at her reflection. She wants to get it cut, but then again, all that attention to her hair is so....primpy. And girlish. Not Jos's style.
This is a really lame, no-quality picture, but you can just see the look of resentment on her face as Stephanie covertly styles it. Stepanie kept reassuring her that she was just drying it, that it wouldn't even be beautiful when she was done.
Josie remained unconvinced.
Afterwards, when I told Josie I wanted to get her picture she turned and faced the corner (because she is a turd). I would like to point out to you how gorgeous Josie's hair is. I try and shy away from such blatant Mommy brag, but I feel that I can tell you this because in the same breath I then tell you how amazingly difficult she is to parent. See? It all evens out. The universe might play you a dirty trick and give you the burden of raising a spirited, strong willed, contrary child, but she'll have nice hair.
Much better!

So you can plainly see how two hours of hair cuts and then two hours of gymnastics took it right out of me. Sorry Outdoor Ed, better luck next time!

3 comments:

Tracy Hogan said...

Yeah for inexpensive haircuts and beautiful children. Waiting for a blog on cooking week and outdoor week. :)

My Five Little Monkeys said...

Why thank you, Tracy. I think that you will find what you are looking for by scrolling down a bit. Don't worry! I have chronicled every single second of our "Off Track" experiences.

shayla said...

What I want to know is...why none of your monkeys seem to be blessed with the curl thing that you had---I remember you with curls, am I right? And yes, Jos does have nice hair.