Saturday, November 1, 2008

Edward Somethinghands



Sid has a recent fixation with black hair. As in, he wishes he had black hair. So a few weeks ago when he told me he wanted to spray his hair black for Halloween (using the messy but utterly temporary hair spray/hair color) I was like, You could totally be Edward Scissorhands for Halloween! I pulled a couple of pictures off google image for him and he agreed. Only, I had no idea he was only saying yes because of the hair color. In actuality, Sid did not want his hair all disheveled and spiked, nor did he want little cuts all over his death-pallor face, nor did he want actual scissor hands. What he wanted was for me to spray his hair black and then fashion some sort of gloved hand weaponry (see photo above) that in no way resembled scissors. All you girls my age or thereabouts will know the pain it caused me to continue to call this his Edward Scissorhands costume. Poor, beautiful Johnny Depp, he does not deserve to be treated thusly! Anyway, the costume was thankfully easy and took about an hour of my time. Some craft foam, card stock, silver paint and automotive duct tape and the whole thing was done. He seemed pleased, as in he didn't refuse to wear it. (He is nearly 13, I will remind you, and so we should not expect much in the way of enthusiasm for anything.)

2 comments:

rebecca said...

This was one of my favorite costumes, even w/o make-up and the whole 9 yards.

the binghams. said...

oh Squid. I know he hates appearances on the blog but it is so freaking cute. i say let him dye his hair black, i likey.

but i guess thats why i am the cool aunt?