Saturday, December 27, 2008

Things You Should Know About Sid



Today was Sid's 13 birthday. He got to go out to eat for lunch with Dad, and that was it. Because way back in the summer, he begged and begged and begged to purchase his best friend's bass guitar and amp he (the best friend) was selling. It was quite the deal, but at $250 we told him it would have to be his Christmas and Birthday present all in one. We made him wait a month to be sure that he was willing to accept a gift-free holiday. He was sure. Until about October. Since then he has pretty much regretted his decision, even though he really likes the bass. He would just have really liked some gifts as well. I tell you what, though, it did make my life easier this Christmas. Lots of conversations about why we refuse to buy him an iTouch didn't even happen. He did get a brownie cake (his choice) with 13 candles to blow out--although the minute we finished singing "toooooo yoooooo" Tommy jumped in and blew out at least 7 candles before Sid even had a chance.

Sid, dreaming of a better birthday next year?



Admiring the odds-and-ends candles I managed to scrounge up. I am never ready for this kid's birthday, two days after Christmas.

So, a few things you should know about Sid:

It is his life's mission to grow his hair out "long" and shiny and dark, just like Drake's. To which dream I say Good luck. (In an effort to make his hair shinier he conditions it daily, and in an effort to make it grow he eats eggs every day. You know, protein.)

Sid has super flexible ears. He can fold them up and shove them inside his ear canal and they will stay. It has been a long-cherished dream of mine that someday Sid will appear on Stupid Human Tricks.

(Please enjoy this very short video of Sid performing his ear trick. I had to pay him $5 for the rights to this video. Dang kids. They are on to me. The very minute I casually mentioned to Sid this evening that I would like to video his trick, he instantly became combative and made me promise I wouldn't post it on my blog. Lucky for you, the boy has a price. And lucky for me, that price is only $5.)

Sid recently began skateboarding and gave up basketball, two things that cause his father to twitch.

Sid loves video games. A very empathetic grandfather overcompensated this Christmas and bought him a racing game that comes with a steering wheel. Sid has been in the basement racing ever since.

Sid is still a snuggle bug. Just don't tell him I told you.

9 comments:

the binghams. said...

oh my little squid. i still remember eating chex mix with kjell outside your hospital room and then hearing his first cry. i didn't have our baby on his birthday to celebrate :(

when i talked to him yesterday he sounded so manly. it was frightening.

TheBenandKaties said...

Tell Sid happy birthday and that skateboarding is cool no matter how much his dad would prefer him to play basketball.

rebecca said...

Christina's friend turned 13 today. That jump to legit teenager is something Wayne and I don't like to discuss. Christina has 'til summer. Time truly flies.
It cracks me up not only that Sid has talented ears, but that Sid has an opinion about his hair. The hair "stylin'" just started with Thomas and it completely caught me off guard.
Good luck this year:) I love your parenting notes. Keep 'em coming.

TNIRYAN said...

I almost forgot I could still comment via this route. But be warned, you might occasionally get comments that have absolutely nothing to do with the post they follow, but are actually ways to drain pent up comments from your other blog, such as the following:

I'm surprised that no one delurked after your Feedjit post. Or perhaps I can imagine them reading it, suddenly realizing what that thing on the side is (it took me a while, too), and then thinking in a panicky sort of way "Oh my gosh! She can SEE ME!!" Did those people still visit?

Oh, and happy birthday to Sid. One day I shall have my own 13-yr-old. I'm hoping that by then I'll be able to understand them, or at least put up with them. And I can remember briefly thinking during my wedding reception, "hey, I bet somebody named Sid was born on this special, special day." Briefly, and then it was gone.

My Five Little Monkeys said...

Do those people still visit? Yes. Yes they do. Sometimes multiple times a day. Weird, huh?
Teenagers are meant to be loved and endured. I wouldn't try to hard to understand them. It will make your head hurt.

Michaelson Family said...

ok...I just read your comment about my alien baby. I looked back at some pictures of Kai when he was a newborn and I was so in love and thought he was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. It is so funny to look back at those pictures b/c he was SO NOT CUTE!!!
I am sure I will have the same blind-eye this time around as well. But, I am glad that I can count of you to keep me in check.

You are hilarious! Gonna miss you in primary...GO SCOUTS!!!

Michaelson Family said...

Ha ha...I know you were joking. But seriously, it is true. Babies are scary looking sometimes. Kai came out with the worst cone-head ever. It was crazy.
What do you mean both? You will be at the breakfast? As a teacher or a parent?

Ken Craig said...

Roxanna, now appearing as age 5, can also tuck her ear lobes into her ear canal. And is it sad that I've had that same thought? "Hmm...could I somehow retire on this freakish talent? Would Letterman be so taken by her ability that he would just lavish us with gifts and money?"

shayla said...

My kids have opinions about their hair the minute they come out of the womb! Very talented trick--LOVE IT! I have a brother that can stick $2.25 in quarters up his nostrils. Don't know why I just thought of that. That was about the shortest video I've ever seen, Sid, wow, $5--he is onto something, Julie! And he's quite the 13 year old cutie pie!