Growing up a child of the '70s, our family (like most) rarely went out to eat. And we certainly never went out to breakfast. Indeed, about the most decadent thing a person could do, in my childhood opinion, was to get up in the morning, shower and get dressed all just to go out to breakfast. It is from this childhood dream of eating breakfast out that one of our most eagerly anticipated traditions was born.
As per our usual Konchar Family Tradition, we all went to breakfast this New Year's morning at IHOP. But because of an unforeseen obstacle--Sid slept over with a few friends at Addison's house--we went for breakfast at 11. This is the first year for over a decade that we have slept in on New Year's Day. We learned long ago that IHOP is where the "up all night celebrating" crowd goes for breakfast. So you have to go early enough to get there before they do. We typically arrive at 8 and somewhat have the place to ourselves. Not this year. The Hangover Bunch was loud and proud by the time we got there, but I guess the silver lining to that was nobody was noticing the family of seven coloring on the table and getting syrup in their hair (Oh. Sorry Pie).
Tommy, enjoying the last remnants of his Rooty Jr. with two different kinds of syrup.
One of the many reasons that old expression opposites attract is true: Pie said to me "Hey, take a picture of me!" I would sooner eat something off the floor of this restaurant than utter the words "take a picture of me".
Sid, dying a thousand deaths. Not only did we drag him along for a family outing IN PUBLIC, we took him with bad hair. Because, you see, Sid and his friends were up until 7:40 this morning, successfully completing a Stay-Awake-Athon. Watching TV, eating Flaming Hot Cheetos (uh, bleck) and playing Super Smash Bros ALL NIGHT. We picked him up on the way. But then we were forced to go back home to get him a hat to cover his stupid hair. And then we made him sit with us in a booth! Poor little fella. Get this--later on today we are going to make him go on a walk with us. Oh, the humanity!
17 comments:
What a great tradition. I remember growing up thinking eating breakfast out was the bomdiggity too. Sid makes me laugh. We have occasional drama with Christina. She asked me (& I referred to Wayne) if she could go to a New Years Eve dance. At the dinner table she started in with an elaborate background story, and I told her to simply wait until Wayne had a bite of bacon and then give it to him straight. The answer was no. Tears welled up. But all ended well, esp. since the dance was cancelled due to snow.
Nope. Sorry. Don't believe you. Christina is the sweeeeetest. That is so cute about her wanting to go to the dance. Pie and I realized that next Christmas Sid will turn 14, 4 days before the New Year's Eve dance. His first dance! Aaaack!
Er, does Sid read your blogues? And Calvin, with the super powers his ears render him, shall triumph.
Does Sid read this tripe? Absolutely not! And welcome back to blogging, sista.
Oh, Sid secretly loves it. Brayden at 11 gets tunnel-vision-embarrassed whenever the escalade pulls up and kids keep getting out and out and out and out....and don't stop getting out. And the stares don't stop-ever. You'd think being the oldest he'd be used to it--but not so much. Sid and Brayden should be friends.
It's always a brave thing going into public for a meal--with our fam at least. And you can tell Pie what a great photo---us parents have to be documented at some point, ya know?
We didn't feel too bad about nixing the dance (it actually was a church dance & who knows why our former stake set the age at 12. I told Christina---you'll have lots of dances to go to starting at 14. Don't grow up too fast.
And just for the record, as a comment on your NYE post on your OTHER blog, Wayne and I totally would have come to your NYE party! I don't even try to make snazzy plans, b/c I'm happy playing games & hanging out with our family. If we were neighbors though, we'd be at your door. Therapy averted?
Oooh. I love this tradition. I'll have to wait an entire year though to enact it in my own life, so could you post a tradition reminder some time next December? My husband loves IHOP and Denny's so he would be totally down with this. By the way, the thought just occurred to me that perhaps iHop started the whole "i" business that Apple is now marketing to death. Seems to me there might be a lucrative piece of litigation in there somewhere.
Kudos to your children for coming up with such interesting Church costumes. I've managed to keep on top of my kids clothes up to now (the hair has been hit and miss, as has the clean noses), but I think Meriel might test me on this one. You know how she is. She likes going commando too. My sympathies for having to go at 8:30. We're at 12:30 now, which is a blessing and a curse.
And Kudos to you for dragging your whole family out of bed on New Years day to take them out to breakfast. That's the day when I officially say, "Stick a fork in me. I'm done!!"
Okay...so now I have to come to this blog to post about your other blog. Today I will be speaking to you about THE DIET. I, too, have come to the sad, sad conclusion that I am going to have to start eating like a middle-aged woman...the woman who NEVER has french fries, or cookies, or BUTTER. I'm going to try to hold off about writing about my diet on my blog for a while because it seems like the more I talk about it...the less I want to do it. AND...once I mention the word 'diet,' some of my "well- meaning" friends start giving me diet tips endlessly. Most of these "well-meaning" friends are larger than me. I think you should only be able to give dieting tips to those fatter than yourself. Isn't that a rule? Anywho...I've started my new year's diet off with a bang...throwing up for a day and a half straight. Right now food is not my friend. But give it another day or so....
I noticed that you aren't really in any pictures on your blog... you really hate it that much huh?
Eating off the floor of IHOP???
I can't stop laughing about Pie wanting to get his picture taken. (He's so yellow, isn't he?!?) Love the picture of Sid- finally I see the "bloom" of adolescence that you've been hinting at. Let's send him and Carter off to a private island for a few years until they're human again. Deal? I'm with my old pal Sarah (who looks neither old nor like she needs to diet)- the iHop thing is a great New Year's tradition. I will plan on going with the hangover crowd, however, in hopes that they might be more obnoxious than my offspring. XOXO
Okay, why can't I post on your other blog? I am perturbed. So I shall stalk you on this one! In regards to your "diet", I echo my previous comment about Sarah: I've seen you within the past 9 months and I know that you look great and are in no need of putting yourself through such torture. But since you insist on THE DIET, I do enjoy the details. I myself cannot find the self-discipline. I'd rather take the Gwyneth Paltrow approach and excercise for like 10 hours a day than not eat what I want. And, trust me, I never thought I'd hear myself say that. Sigh.
As for the church shoes. Soooo funny! I thought I was the only one who brought kids to church with mismatched shoes. We regularly arrive to discover that one of the triplets is wearing two left shoes of the same style. (Something I swear can only happen in a household with multiples.) It had become something of a joke in the nursery. Until the nursery leader arrived one day accidently wearing two different shoes. (And she wasn't even drunk! She got dressed in the dark.) Ahh, sweet vindication! (A "walking" example of karma, I'd say.)
I'll call you tomorrow. Really. And when I do, I'll tell you all about why I couldn't call you back after my appointment. hint: it involves a tantrum about wanting to get a kitten, backseat puking, sympathetic puking, and a near-miss with an armadillo. Really.
who thinks julie made up the "i have to eat 525 extra calories on days i work out thing" in order to change her everyday intake from 1200 to 1500?
KIDDING!
i am impressed with your dedication. i, on the other hand am enjoying the just had a baby/nursing "diet" and its working out pretty ok for me.
see you in NINE days!!
Hey Japanese porn star, so help me if you get all waify, I may have to not talk to you, Gwyneth. Because I am anti-waif. And, yes, I am happy that you have SENSIBLY upped it to a whopping 1500. And I bow to your all-powerful will power. Seriously.
It behooves me to tell you why my cousin Adrienne just said Hey Japanese porn star, if only to explain to my children years from now when they read this blog, which I will always refer to as "Our Family History".
In an earlier private email conversation, Adrienne and I referenced that hilarious little program known as 30 Rock. Last season Jenna went on the paper diet, favored by Japanese porn stars. The diet is simple. You can only eat paper. But the selling point of the diet-- you can eat all the paper you want!
So really people, there is nothing untoward going on here....
....not toward!
(remember when Tracy Jordan said that?)
oh sure, it was the 30 rock reference and also all those movies you made in your twenties. you forget so fast.
Post a Comment