Monday, February 16, 2009

Happy Birthday Little Broken One

Before I tell you about dear Calvin's 10th birthday, indulge me as I tell you about an eerie phenomenon here at the Konchar home regarding birthdays and the rule of 2:

Our first child, Sid, was born 2 days after Christmas.

Calvin, our second, was born 2 days before Valentine's Day.

Tommy, our fifth (final answer) was born 2 days after Halloween on All Souls day.

Josie and Jon, our third and fourth children, were born in August no where near any important date that I am aware of, but they were born on the twentieth and that has a 2 in it.....plus there were 2 of them.

Ooooooooh.

Spooky, I know. And kind of annoying, because when your child's birthday falls very closely to a nationally recognized holiday, sometimes it is hard to give that birthday the planning attention it deserves. Especially if you are me.

So Calvin had a birthday February 12. It was the big 1-0. Double digits. I baked a cake and arranged treats for the class. Donut hole treats, with sprinkles. (Because I know my way around the bakery department at the Soopers.) And Pie was planning to meet Calvin for lunch in the cafeteria. Big doins. Well, the cake and donuts were a hit, Dad was a miss (and felt appropriately shameful) and the presents? Well, there was just the one. But Calvin took it all in his typical "just happy to be here" fashion and enjoyed his day anyway. (And Dad made it up to him by coming for lunch the next day.) Here are some photos of our family party.

Tommy, inspecting the cake.

Does the cake remind you a tiny bit of this old book? Because while that is what it reminds me of, it isn't really the look I was going for. But hey, chocolate cake, white frosting and a package of plain M&M's are a recipe for deliciousness!

Not really appreciating me watching him inspect the cake.

Oh, didn't I tell you that Calvin broke his arm last month? Radius, buckle fracture. Ulna, hairline. Trying to be a monkey like his little simian sister. So here is Calvin opening his present.

Tommy helping. He wasn't wearing any pants. Is anyone shocked by this?

I wrapped this present reeeeeel good.

Hey! It's a Bionicle. Just what Tommy wanted!

Calvin and his favorite present.

Tommy the next morning, pining for more breakfast cake.


6 comments:

rebecca said...

OK, I love that cake! I think this will have to be a Wesley birthday theme using the Dr. S book zoo theme. Only problem is we rarely do parties.
I love how Tommy is pantless yet sports a button-down shirt.
Happy Birthday to Calvin. Is this the first Konchar broken limb? Where are the signatures on the cast? Or has signing casts gone the way of the mullet?

My Five Little Monkeys said...

I thought the cake-book theme was (unwittingly) appropriate for my brood. And I for some reason find M&M's on a cake to be some sort of childhood dream fulfilled. Yes, T's button down shirt is very business cazh, especially when paired with yokel diaper bum. First broken bone. Can you believe it? And the fiberglass casts are really hard to sign. I had two plaster casts on my arm as a child and THOSE were sweet to sign. But plaster or fiberglass, casts still reek! I can't sit next to Calvin at church anymore.....just until Friday.

rebecca said...

lol...don't take it personally son, but you stink!
I can't believe that's the first K monkey to break a bone. They must have busy guardian angels and/or amazing finesse.

shayla said...

And we thought we were cool for having bdays every month from March until August (only skipping July)...with either a '2' or a '7' in each date...until Vivie messed that up with a '9'. I think Tommy loves treats. And is that chocolate spewing from his chin in the 2nd to last picture--MAD camera skills to catch that! My kind of wrapping paper---and man, your house is clean. I especially adore your way to keep Tommy out of the cupboards. I need to do that myself. Okay, I've over-observed. Happy bday to your Calvin!

Adrienne said...

Um, donie holes AND cake?! (oh and PLAIN m&ms????) You're hired for my next b-day, party planner.

Carrie said...

Happy birthday cute Calvin! Julie, you crack me up! The way that you write and tell stories is such a talent! I look forward to reading your posts and seeing your cute pictures! The last one cracks me up, we have a serious chocoholic (sp?) in our family who also just gave up sucking her thumb!