The day began with a delicious and time consuming breakfast--Danish pancakes. You may know these as Swedish pancakes, or perhaps even crepes. But let me tell you, no self-respecting Dane (like myself) would be caught dead serving up Swedish or French slop. I mean, come on. Anyway, the Danish ones taste best. (Although I'm not quite sure how to reconcile the fact that the recipe I used calls them "crepes".)
After opening gifts and reassuring Tommy about 47 times that his birthday will be coming REALLY SOON--right after Halloween--we headed off to the ice cream shop to enjoy the twins gift from Miss Apryl. Since the kids would be having cupcakes on Saturday and then their real birthday cakes on Sunday with my family, it was a wonderful treat for me to not have to make additional cake. And this is all about me, you know.
SATURDAY'S POOL PARTY
If you have children fortunate enough to be born during the summer months, let me recommend to you the "pool party". It was the easiest, most inexpensive party I have ever hosted. And the best part? There was no pre- or post- party cleanup required! We staked our claim on some tables early on and those two hours just flew by.
The kids also had those little cups of ice cream that you have to peel the thick paper off of. The cups were delicious, and they also helped to provide the crucial separation between ice cream and baked goods that my children depend on. Tommy enjoyed my preoccupation with the other children and took the opportunity to lick the frosting off three cupcakes (or muffins), unnoticed, with an undimmed alacrity that was rather impressive, considering his belly was already quite full from lunch. And then, after the opening of all the gifts, the party was over. I sent the little guests off with wet suits and wet towels, clutching sacks full of candy (in case, you know, the cupcakes and ice cream didn't take)--because I know how moms really appreciate things like that.
And then I loaded up the Suburban with all our wet towels and melty candy and sacks of presents and hot dog broth. And the car wouldn't start. So my adorable husband came and got us (even though he had just left us 10 minutes earlier, having been a crucial helper to me in this whole "pool party" scheme of mine.) (I think he likes me or something.) Thanks, Puggy. You're nice.
2 comments:
Oh Yay, Julie is back. I have dearly missed your sarcasmic (is that even a word?) posts.
You are a riot. Hot dog broth sounds so gross.
How come there are so many pictures of your kids at the pool and none of you?
Happy birthday to your kiddos. I wish the pool were still going to be open for Kai's birthday but I think it closes. Sounds like an easy party to host.
Hope all is well. I miss ya!
Girl, I was starting to get worried. Glad to see everything is sunny and swimmy in Colorado. I just got my wisdom teeth yanked (yes, at the ripe old age of 38) and I'm suffering something fierce.
That's all for now.
Sarah
P.S. Let's turn it up a notch on the posting, shall we?
Post a Comment