Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Communitcating With The Small

For as long as I can remember, I have enjoyed spending time with small children. Maybe this is because kids are so funny. And admit it, even if kids drive you nuts--even if you actually hate children--they are a laugh riot. A few random conversations I have had lately with Tommy, newly turned three:


In the car on the way to church, Tommy is rehashing for me a recent storyline from Dora The Explora. It is about Boots. But that is all I am clear on, because Tommy isn't what you'd call a brilliant conversationalist. He has the vocab you'd expect from a kid who doesn't really make communication a priority--preparation no doubt for when he becomes a teen. It was all about Boots and boots and a gate and a map. I don't really know what the heck he was telling me, but I had a great time listening. And just like Tommy's story, my little story here doesn't seem to have a point to it either, other than aren't kids funny?

Today we were in the kitchen together and I was asking him if he wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. He said he did, and then specified "in a dinosaur" which means he wants it cut out using the dinosaur sandwich cutter. Our conversation is all just for show because he wants the exact same thing every day. But today when I repeated back to him "in a dinosaur" he kind of had a little freak out and said "not a real dinosaur! A sammich dinosaur!" And I laughed and laughed because I thought just how dumb does this kid think I am?

And last Saturday I found him sitting on the island, covered in "I Can't Believe I'm Eating This Crap Instead Of Butter", crouching over our dear old free toaster, now defiled with butter substitute. As I was looking around for the camera I scolded, "You have absolutely ruined our poorly functioning {free} old toaster with the missing control knob!" To which he replied "I didn't did! I didn't did!

Oh but Tommy......you did did.


See? Funny, huh?

14 comments:

the binghams. said...

haha that is so awesome.

Marilee said...

HILARIOUS!!!

shayla said...

Why is it that little people love having pb& j cut in shapes? I do this all the time--the fav is gingerbread people. Little Tommy is hilarious!

rebecca said...

"I didn't did." Tricky! Thanks for the laugh...thank Tommy too.

Wayne said...

In my day, we had our sandwiches in the shape of a slice of bread, WITH THE CRUST STILL ATTACHED.

Now, get off of my lawn!

My Five Little Monkeys said...

...and we didn't have any toys to play with either, just potatoes.


And Adrienne, got your address but I thought you might not want me to publish it to "the world". Also, you are getting a demerit for boycotting the black blog. You won't want to miss my (upcoming) rant against The Little Drummer Boy, now would you? Perhaps I have said too much.

Wayne said...

I'm worried about the collateral damage of your upcoming tirade against the pint-sized percussionist. Please won't you think of the Bowie and Crosby fans before you post?

the binghams. said...

julie- great post about the little drummer boy. but, i still don't see how it is "more convenient" for us to read something there, click comment, get rejected, go to your other blog link, find the latest blog, and post a comment about your black blog. but, i should shut up or you'll take all our comments away, won't you?


anyway.. i completely agree about all the drumming. and ghost stories. loves!

Wayne said...

I see you went with the alliteration. I thought about it but I figured the previous sentence had exhausted my quota.

rebecca said...

Wayne and I were sitting here reading your black blog and saw "comments 0" listed, and were giddy at the thought of being able to leave a comment again on your blog. Maybe it's enabled for "certain" posts? We could only hope. I hurried, without even reading the whole post just to leave a message, only to get the mean "disabled" message. So not nice!
Now we know you're serious, and we won't get our hopes up anymore. We'll just keep reading, laughing, and commenting over here where we are loved. :D

the binghams. said...

i think everyone is giving up to easy. fight fight fight.

the binghams. said...

Ok.. i talked it over with julie and her reasoning is sound, i guess i'll just be grateful that i have any place to comment/talk to you. heaven knows we aren't going to actually call each other.

oh wait, sometimes you have to wait for the kids to get out of school before gymnastics, sister time!!

Ryan & Keri said...

This is so funny! Your posts always make me laugh! Did you even attempt to clean the toaster or are you making a wonderful trip to Target? We've had one a many of these incidents this week. It's good to smile and laugh about them.

Carrie said...

What did ya do with the toaster?? Those are the times it is hard not to laugh! I know what you will be getting for christmas.