Today I made good on a Christmas Promise I made to Jos a few weeks ago. And if we have learned anything from repeated screenings of Merry Christmas Drake and Josh, it is that a Christmas Promise can't be broken. So, this promise I made. Let me long-windedly set the stage for you:
A few weeks ago we are driving to gymnastics, me and Jos. Things are good. And then suddenly--without warning--Josie is tearfully trudging us both down memory lane, remembering a particular penguin ornament ($1 at the grocery) that she dearly loved two years ago. (She dearly loved it so much that even though I had repeatedly instructed her to not touch that ornament, one day she took it with her to the potty and and promptly dropped it onto the tile floor. Clearly she has never recovered from this shattering emotional moment.) Hoping to calm her down I used the "I know just how you feel" technique and told her about this sweet Christmas Elf ornament we had as a kid. Sadly for the ornament, many parts of his colorful little body were made up of Lifesavers. I must have been around 6 one Christmas (certainly old enough to know better) when I decided the best thing to do would be to eat that little elf's arms and legs. I can't really remember but I'm sure it was delicious--being several years old and all. And when I was done eating all the Lifesavers, I realized that I had ruined the ornament. Oh sob! Oh cry!
So I bet you all know what happened when I finished this story for Jos. She became completely hysterical. Not only was she sad about the ornament she had destroyed, she was sad about my ornament too. Dang, I'm good. So here is where the Christmas Promise comes in: I told her that when she was off track we would make new Elf ornaments. (I did NOT tell her that the grocery store quit selling those penguin ornaments.)
So today, after many false starts and trips to the grocery to find the Lifesavers, voila! Our Elf ornaments. (If you think these elves look a lot like clowns, you are not alone. But it's hard to actualize a craft that you only have a 6 year old's memory of.) I made a prototype for Tommy to eat:
Calvin and Jon working reverently and quietly.
After we made the elf ornaments we all had hot dogs for lunch. It was a party!
12 comments:
i would never make such a remark...
i'm a mother, don't you know!
calvin's reminds me of the best strong bad email: kids book. you should all watch it stat at www.homestarrunner.com. the book strong bad writes is called: everyone's different. one boy is squirrel handed! that is kind of like that ornament calv made with a yellow call for a hand.
also, josie is good at drawing- make her pursue it. also.. my comments have spell check, they always have. i just used to fix persue to pursue. what is wrong with you?
So is this elf ornament filling a void for you? I think Calvin's is hilarious. It will be interesting to see if his strategy resulting in harder to access LifeSavers will mean his elf lasts longer or not. I'm also curious to know if Jos eats her elf or if she'll be more possessive of her ornament now that she's lost the dear penguin.
My kids would love to make some elf ornaments. Hopefully they'll last longer than their chocolate advent calendars did.
I wonder if that's how sweet calvin sees himself, cause I quite like his ginormously tall clown elf with the perfect hair on top...he looks less like the michelin man and more like...Goliath with a happy, calm face. I think your elves are michelin elves--but VERY cute michelin elves.
Rebecca, I don't think Josie will eat hers, although we won't know until next year at least--that is when the real test comes.
Shay--I hadn't thought of the Michelin man but you are right! And everyone's "hair" was supposed to be covered by little cone shaped hats, but I didn't have time to glue those together yesterday. All these kids were eating up the Lifesavers so we just got started while we still had candy.
Hello, Sonya (high school mate of Pie's) here...I enjoyed your entry and can totally relate...good to know there are still people that spend time making ornaments with their children...some of my fondest memories of my childhood are of making ornaments and various craft projects with my Mom (using the ever trusty Elmer's Glue and lifesavers, uncooked macaroni, paper, felt, construction paper, seeds, old buttons, etc. - basically anything around the house and and affordable!)...good times. Thanks for sharing!
Your writing just cracks me up! You have and have always had such a wit about you! I love your pics and your cute elves! Let us know if they survive!
Wait, we had chocolate advent calendars? How did I miss that?
I'm new here! What a great blog :) ♥ Hugs!
Man, it's stories like this that Oprah is neglecting.
your face is crapped.
oh.. it also reminds me of something drew said when we were out to lunch with them in utah: my bum has cracks all over it!
I was at Michael's Sat. night and they had pom-pom ornament kits...a penguin was on display with a bunch of others, but the penguin was sold out. It was the cutest so I understand. I thought of Jos and would have sent it to her if they had it.
Well, that is very sweet of you. You can understand though, why I won't be mentioning it to Jos.
Rebecca! It is getting colder! This morning when Sid got on the bus it was -10. Seriously, that wasn't the wind chill. Just -10. Egregious!
Post a Comment