Sunday, December 14, 2008

Glitter Glue, Sequins and other Spangly Things

Last year we decorated cheap-o Jo Ann felt stockings. So naturally the kids were clamoring for more of the same this year. A snowy Sunday afternoon seemed to be the perfect time to drag out bowls full of buttons, sequins, beads and glitter glue. Usually I'm not the first to suggest such outlandishly messy crafts, but what can I say? I guess this is what's meant by the phrase "getting into the Christmas spirit". Well, it was fun. And now I've got a kitchen floor covered in Christmas spirit.


Getting ready: Jos, Jon and Calvin can't wait for the party to begin. See if you can spy Pie trying to nap in the background!



At the table, the mood is joyful and triumphant.


So check out Tommy's wee stocking. He was all about the glitter glue and the beads...


....and a little decorative technique called "button stacking".


We really did have a nice afternoon. Nobody teased. Nobody cried. And Jonny only laugh/peed once. This activity was fun for all, but appealed to the 7 year olds the most. Josie and Jon were still decorating long after the rest of us moved on with our lives.

**Thanks Wayne and Becky for sending the storm our way!!! It snowed this morning but the real story is the cold-- currently at 3:30 in the afternoon, it is 2 degrees outside.


3 comments:

Christina said...

THAT is cold! Way to hunker down and have fun though. The day after our epic storm, when the power was out and we were pretty much homebound, I put the kids to work and we cleaned house. You had much more fun.
I love the stacked buttons. I know my kids would love this too.

the binghams. said...

nice work Konchars. i especially loved that jon only peed once- its a christmas miracle! now if only the same could be said about Sid....

Sarah said...

Hey...you turned your comments back on. I want to send you a Christmas card but have no address (other than Frozen Tundra, Colorado). So send it to sarahbrennerjones@yahoo.com.