Wednesday, December 3, 2008

It's Cookie Weather

What we've got planned for today:

We are off track (yet again) and bored but not quite ready for our regimented Cookin School, Art School and the like, tentatively planned for next week. And when I say we are bored I mean Josie is bored. The rest of us quite enjoy having nothing on the agenda. The weather is supposed to turn snowy today, an eventuality here in Colorado that I like to prepare for by having on hand all the necessary supplies for cookies. Outside it is a chilly 27 and the sky is the exact shade of grey you'll find in the lint collector. Inside the children have just provided their own lunch, an improvised affair consisting of Lucky Charms and milk served up in small Tupperware containers, ladled to the mouth with actual ladles. (Perhaps in addition to cookie baking I can see about whipping up a batch of doing the dishes.)

So Josie, chocolate chip cookies will have to satisfy your urge for excitement. I plan on being satisfied with well over a dozen cookies, just myself. I am more than willing to make cookies every day, if that is what it takes to entertain these kids. Oh, the sacrifices I am willing to endure for my children. But with 5 1/2 weeks off from school from November 26 to January 5, I guess I should be grateful that most days the kids are content with just tearing apart the basement building forts, turning the Christmas tree lights on and off repeatedly, and preventing the couch cushions from ever fulfilling their intended purpose.

8 comments:

Adrienne said...

Just have to say, I am woefully behind on my blogreading, and finally caught up on both your HILarious blogs. It wasn't even cute laughing. It was the disgusting, snorting, nose wiping, guffawing laughter. Seriously.

Michaelson Family said...

Cookie Weather!!! Yeah, I can't wait to see you tonight when you drop some by...
6:00pm works for me. See you then!

the binghams. said...

i want some cookies. bring to idaho por favor. have you bought your ticket yet? Maybe you should come right as the kids get back to school (the due date!) because i think this little lady is coming quite early...

rebecca said...

Feel free to throw some of your cookies our way. 5 1/2 weeks is a long "off track." I'd be having lots of cookie days too. Actually, Caroline and I are having cookie day on Friday....I'm looking forward to the batter..I mean cookies;)

the binghams. said...

julie, i do have to point out though (from the black blog) how smart i was, even at age 4 or 5 when i chopped off bootleg's bangs. I KNEW it would look awful, I KNEW i had no idea how to cut hair, so i didn't cut MY OWN hair.. that would just be dumb. (no offense, tommy)

My Five Little Monkeys said...

None taken. Although I will point out that you WERE 4 or 5, and thus knew better. But where would this family be without that Bootleg story?

shayla said...

feelin' for ya. 5 1/2 weeks? In the dead of winter?Maybe CO is a nice place to visit.

My Five Little Monkeys said...

Aw, Shay--It's NEVER the dead of winter here in Colorado! Maybe in Idaho, maybe upstate New York, but not here. I will cheerfully remind you we get over 300 sunny days a year. So even when it's cold and snowy, it still is pretty nice. And I LOVE having my kids home. Remember me, wishing I could home school? Well, maybe not every day, but lots of days anyway. And being home in the weeks before Christmas has an added benefit, I have found: We are insulated from the nasty germs at school. Knock on wood, we haven't been sick for Christmas in a few years. Plus you know all those fun projects that you want to do with your kids like decorating stockings, making sugar cookies, gingerbread houses? Now is the perfect time to do it. And probably best of all--my baby Tommy is on cloud 9 with two brothers and a sister home. Sid, my kid that "stirs the pot" is off at middle school all day, so we only get the sweet little ones. It's nice. Yes, I'll be ready come January 5, but by the first week in March I'll be waiting for another 3 weeks of no homework, no schedules. So don't cry for me, Argentina....