So the last week or so has been filled with sewing. I love that. But I don't love how everything falls apart around me when I spend my days making fabric messes. That I could do without. My sewing has been for a worthy cause: Namely, General George Washington and Helen Keller.
This is the part of second grade when the children choose from a list of Famous Americans and then make their mothers put together a suitable costume. I love this sort of task, but I do feel for the moms who don't sew/craft/fashion things with a glue gun and safety pins, because an assignment like this must be really annoying for them. Through the miracle of a well-stocked basement (read: I keep an offensive amount of fabric and fabric related bric-a-brac in numerous boxes cluttering up my basement) I was able to put together these costumes entirely with things I had on hand....with the notable exception of the garishly yellow, shiny fabric for General George Washington. That I had to buy. After getting this assigment a few weeks ago, the very first thing to be done, naturally, was to take a little trip to google image. One of my favorite places on the Internet! (Don't worry imdb, I still love you too.)
Helen's white dresses:


General George Washington's uniform, as seen at the Smithsonian

After a little research and with these pictures printed out--plus Jon's Santa suit pattern from Halloween and (would you believe?) the pattern from the dress Kirsten wore to my wedding reception over 15 years ago--I got to work. Last night was the culmination of nearly two weeks of sewing and I finished up just after midnight this morning. Phew! The presentation is at noon but the kids had to get on the bus this morning wearing their costumes.
Last night's hair preparations.
This mornings shenanigans. (George Washington by way of Liberace? Well, if anybody can pull of satiny yellow, it is Jon)
More dignified.
Slightly less so.
Out at the bus stop hanging with MLK Jr., but I'm sure you already guessed that....
Getting into character. (Check out the riding boots--they gave me fits)
So that about sums up life for the past week. Grams got here yesterday (and helped with the wig) so after today's presentation I am looking forward to relaxing with her and not sewing for a while (even though I loved it.)
(I'll be adding photos from the presentation later....)
8 comments:
Those are amazing! Will they want to wear them to church?
Awesome product dude. I'm seriously impressed. I'm glad you had a good excuse...because you have been noticeable absent from my blog. And while you were gone I got totally famous and was on the how about orange blog...so there.
Carry on.
You've got a great start on Halloween '09! And if Jos doesn't grow she's got her baptism dress. You're so on the ball:) Seriously though, what great costumes! I've had my own house meltdown today as I worked away at a quilt top. Wesley and Caroline are certain the couch is a safety net.
Happy Birthday tomorrow!
WOW!!!! Those are two awesome costumes! You really did a great job! I am impressed!!
What happened to you? You turned domestic!!!
I am impressed, I can't even hem pants! I am the mom that would like to complain to the school about these darn dress up days.....don't the realize the drama they cause at home the day of?? You can usually find me at the thrift store scrounging for something!
Ok, how amazing are you!!!!! The costumes turned out amazing! George Washington turned out awesome! Zachary is going to be George Washington next week,too! I should totally borrow that amazing costume!
Impressive Julie! Great job.
You are so talented I wish I could sew. I wish we could have been there to see it too. Chaz has taken the blanket you made us for our wedding and claimed it as his own, even though he has plenty his own size to chose from he now has to have that one to go to sleep. It was my favotite so I don't blame him it just irritates me. Happy belated b-day to I really need a calander with all the dates because Kjell never remembers.
Post a Comment