Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Little Taste Of Winter In Spring

---And of course by "little taste" I really mean the opposite. We got at least 18 inches of wet spring snow dumped on us last week! The "little taste" also refers to Tommy's culinary adventures in the backyard as he rolled around in and ate snow non-stop for a solid hour.

Friday morning began with a snowstorm. A biggie. Usually our snow is of the "champagne" variety, all snowball-unsuitable glittery dust. But this was a very wet snow, complete with flakes the size of half-dollars coming down for hours and hours. It was gorgeous. I still think I would have preferred the trees having an opportunity to bloom this season instead of all the buds being frosted off, but get a load of me--making hot cocoa out of lemons!


Late in the day Saturday the snow finally slowed enough to allow the kids to go out back and play. It was getting dark. My photos are dark. The kids didn't mind.

This is all Tommy did the whole time he was out in the snow. That boy was soaking wet (not to mention very hydrated) by the time he came in, crying, with chapped cheeks and freezing fingers. Kids.
Josie and Jon were able to build an actual snowman. What fun!

I'm ready to be done with snow, but who knows, we've been known to have a blizzard or two all the way through the beginning of May. At least the snow disappears quickly this time of year. (Do you like my positive tone? Are you missing the little hints of sarcastic snark? Me too. I guess some days I just don't bring my A game...but not all hope is lost. Tonight is Pack Meeting!)

5 comments:

Michaelson Family said...

Hmmm...Poor kid is so hungry he needs to go outside to find food.

shayla said...

You weren't kidding about that snowstorm after Easter...and pretty much having snow into Mother's Day. Wow. At least it keeps the kids busy with something new for a few days??? I'm all for keeping kids busy!

rebecca said...

I was thinking about you when I heard of the CO snow. I was hoping it wasn't coming our way since we were just starting our spring break excursion. We missed it (knock on wood b/c I most certainly wouldn't welcome snow at this point!) and instead were in nearly 100 degree heat our last day in DC. So, while you had winter in spring, we had summer and an early tan line.

Michaelson Family said...

Hey, what is the address to your etsy shop?
I am SO SO glad you came by last night. You always make me laugh. It wasn't a party til you arrived...

Michaelson Family said...

Hey, just checked out your site...
I laughed so hard at this line...
"For children over 35 lbs we recommend teaching them how to walk."
Still laughing at this...