Saturday, May 2, 2009

Cooking with Julie (and Friends)

I know I make fun of my cooking skills a lot here on the blogs--but I just want you to know--not nearly enough as I could. I see lack of interest, skill and native talent as my main obstacles to cookery success. Looking back on my years of culinary mishaps, I am reminded of one of my mottoes: Those who can, do, and those who can't are to be made fun of. So in the spirit of good-natured mocking, let's take a little stroll through the last week--Kitchen Edition:

Friday is always pizza night. Usually we just purchase some cheap and barely edible frozen pizzas at the grocery. The kids don't seem to care and it keeps Pie and myself from eating too much. But every few weeks I will get industrious and decide to make homemade pizza. Last Friday I gathered all my fixins and made up a triple batch of dough. The kitchen was cold so I turned on the top oven for 1 minute, turned it off and then put the whole bowl of dough in to rise in comfort. About 3 minutes later I realized I should start preheating the oven while the dough was rising and so I cranked that thing up to 500 degrees and walked away. Yeah. Same oven the dough was in. I realized this about 20 minutes later--to my horror. There was the oven at a blistering 500. There was the hot bowl of dough--mind you, covered in plastic wrap-- with the top of the dough a golden brown. I know negative self-talk is wrong, but I think even Stuart Smiley would have been in agreement with my "I'm an idiot. I'm an idiot. I'm an idiot." inner dialog.

Inside this hard shell of cooked bread there was a raw, lava-like center. I salvaged what I could, patting the dough into the pizza pans. We carried on and you know what? It was some of the worst pizza I've ever made.

Sunday morning, two days later, we are running late as usual for our 8:30 church and just before we leave I spend all of 2 minutes grabbing 7 potatoes from the pantry, stabbing each one 3 times with a fork and then throwing them into the oven. We have this meal a lot on Gymnastics day. The potatoes cook while we are away and it is a quick meal to throw together when we get home. So, it's not like I am unfamiliar with the baking of potatoes. I do usually wrap the potatoes in aluminum foil, but there was no time for that on Sunday. Three hours later we come home to a house that smells strongly of French fries. I open the oven to behold:

I think Sid explained it best by saying the potatoes (what was left of them) looked like hatched dinosaur eggs. Out of the seven potatoes, only two did not explode. The insides were splattered in layers all over the inside of the oven, just like hash browns. I'm sure it must have been a spectacular site when the potato bombs were bursting in air....we're sorry we missed it. Another look at the oven, after it had been tidied up a bit......thank goodness for self-cleaning ovens.

Last night (Friday pizza night again) we had some friends from way back in the Moorpark days visit with their kids. Robb and Katie (Lewis) Holmstead and four of their 5 boys were in town for a baby blessing and spent the evening with our crew. It was so fun! We were sad to miss out on their oldest, Christopher, who had to stay behind in Pleasant Grove, but we hung out with the other boys Nathan, Joseph, Ryan and Scott. Just like when we had the Menzies and the Walkers over previously, the evening was perfect and one would never know there were 10 kids under one roof. Well, only 9 kids last night-- 8 of them boys! I made pizza again. It is my feeding-an-army meal. The pizza turned out perfectly but at one point the oven door locked and wouldn't let us get out the last pizza. Crazy! And just when I was starting to panic the thing opened. My diagnosis? Haunted oven. Of course you know something had to go wrong in the kitchen, and last night it was my tried and true peach cobbler recipe. I put too much melted butter on the top. It was like butter soup. If you are like me and have always held the belief that there is no such thing as too much butter, guess what? Too much butter is real. It is real like haunted ovens.

Some pictures! Sid, Nathan, Jon, Joseph, Little Scott, Josie, Ryan, Katie, Tommy, me and Calvin.
The crazy picture. The only time the kids were wild last night.
The grownups. There were two kids taking pictures (thus our divided focus) and all the kids were standing in the background being silly, telling us to smile.
We had such fun with the Holmsteads. It was a reunion 13+ years in the making and it was delightful to see Robb and Katie again and meet their sweet boys--what a great family!

13 comments:

rebecca said...

I hope you laughed hard at that potato spattered oven. I did!
How FUN to catch up with Katie & crew. I've ran into her several times in UT and she hasn't changed a bit...still pretty and still as nice as can be.

My Five Little Monkeys said...

Oh I guess I should have mentioned it in the blog, but I laughed SO HARD I CRIED. The kids were getting concerned because they hadn't seen the oven (I walked into the house first and went straight to the potatoes) and I just bursted into hysterical laughter.

Katie and Robb are still exactly the same--we had so much fun!

Wayne said...

I think I speak for us all when I say we're grateful you have the foresight to keep the camera handy when you venture into the kitchen and the fortitude to share with the world.

That's awesome that Robb and Katie (and family) were able to visit. Someday we'll need to have a reunion with all the old crew, preferably before we are actually old.

Michaelson Family said...

Ok.... seriously?! You are an amazing cook!!!
That is the funniest thing I have EVER seen.

Ken Craig said...

Katie...Lewis. Wow. There is a name from the past. I loved Katie Lewis, she was SO SWEET. I had Biology with her with Mr. Fucci at Agoura. The first time I saw Field of Dreams, in the theater, was with Katie Lewis. How is Katie Lewis? I recognized her immediately from the photos, before I even read that it was her.

I'm not sure she remembers me, though. Tell her I see Jared Heiner all the time. Well, not all the time. But more than her.

(By the way, my Word Verification for leaving this comment is "schoushe." Whatever that is, it sounds real. Like when you're drunk. "He was so schoushed.")

Ken

Michaelson Family said...

Julie,
I need to buy my cousin a baby gift and wanted to get her something different. Have you ever considered selling/making those fancy hospital gowns on your etsy site? Thought they were so cute and you could probably sell a ton.
Just an idea...

Adrienne said...

Bless you child for taking a picture of the exploded potatoes. You make me feel so good about being a fellow food exploder.

Michaelson Family said...

Hey no worries. I was just trying to give you an idea that I came across.
This is the website that I found them on. They are totally cute but totally pricey...$95!!!
http://www.shopbyog.com/
Not sure why they are so expensive. But it is such a cute idea. I was thinking about giving one to my cousin so she could deliver in style...
I love her, but don't love her enough to spend $95.

Have fun at the activity tonight!

shayla said...

Oh, what fun to catch up with Katie & her crew of boys! Why is it that all of these people look like they haven't aged a day in 15 years?
NICE potato fries. That's totally something I would do. It only happens when we try to be prepared and organized, doesn't it?!

jensenfamily said...

ok, that is so funny - I've been a non-any-blog checker for the past months, but I'm back on - this was a good one to start with:) erin

Michaelson Family said...

Julie,
I haven't checked blogs in a while b/c life has been crazy but I came downstairs to see what I have missed and thought maybe I could get a laugh out of your blog and...NOTHING...
?
No update? No funny story? What?

I need a Konchar fix...update soon.

P.S. I wore my sling yesterday and love it!!!
Thanks again!

Ryan & Keri said...

Okay, you just made me laugh uncontrollably! It's been a long time since I've blogged, and I'm now back and decided to check up on you! You're so funny!

Michaelson Family said...

Julie...UPDATE YOUR BLOG!!!

miss you!