Monday, April 13, 2009

You Win Some, You Lose Some, and Sometimes You Run Away Crying, Barricading Yourself in a Bathroom Stall.

I am not going to pretend that this year's Pine Wood Derby (or Dirty, according to Tommy) was a success, or that it was even remotely fun, or that we didn't have a horrible time, because you know what? It was horrible. We hated it. Every one of us. There were several reasons why Friday night was so excruciating, and most of them were our own fault.

First of all, we were late. And we hadn't weighed in on Tuesday night--like we were supposed to--mainly because on Tuesday night Calvin's car was still in MIB (mint in the box) condition. Never been opened. But we at least had a name to submit. Twinkie.

We were late to the Derby, but that didn't seem to matter because the races began a FULL hour late. Probably due to people like us showing up late and unprepared. Tommy decided to go business cazh for the Derby, complementing his jeans and Health Tex shirt with a sweet clip on. Too bad no one was able to find shoes for him before we left the house.


Calvin, presenting the "Twinkie" to the eager crowd.

See? It looks just like a Twinkie, but it's really just the standard block of wood with all the corners sanded off and the whole thing bathed in well over 3 coats of yellow paint. Pretty clever, huh? (Curtis Whittier, looking on)

Calvin and friends, before his wee heart was broken.

Josie, sweaty and red-faced from running laps around the outside of the Cultural Hall. "Running around" is the compulsory portion of any activity that is held in the Cultural Hall.

Jon, enjoying cheering for others. Okay, so we didn't hate every single minute. But we did hate the majority of minutes.

Josie, flashing gang signs while Jenn looks on. I love Jenn. I am her assistant. Together we make up the crack team of superhero leaders who host the Bears every week, providing caring, enthusiastic, appropriate Cub Scout leadership--plus a gluten-free-chocolate-free-nut-free snack.
And then everything started to go wrong.....
Remember last year? Dietetic Lunch? The boy who came in last and couldn't have cared less about speed or aerodynamics or WINNING? Remember that boy? Well, it would have been nice if someone could have warned us that that boy was long gone. Because the boy who showed up Friday night most certainly cared about winning. Which was unfortunate because the car I built for him was not built for speed.
Oh yes, didn't I tell you? I was completely responsible for the Twinkie. I sanded it, painted it, accused Pie of not helping me with it...I was the (resentful) Little Red Hen of the Derby and I was not happy about it. Busy Dad+lack of communication=lame car and sad little Scout. At least no one accused me of giving Calvin an unfair advantage by building the car for him.
I was busily employed with my friends--also scout leaders--as we began the arduous yet indispensable task of assigning "winning" certificates to each participant. Most unusual name? Check. Best use of decals? Check. Car most obviously done by Dad and not Scout? Double check. It was after a few heats that Calvin approached me, with tears streaming down his little face, and said he wanted to quit because his car was the slowest and it was dumb. And then he ran off to the bathroom. I turned to my friends and asked, Do we have a certificate for the Worst Sportsmanship?
I felt bad for Calvin, I really did. But I also felt bad for me. Sure my effort was lame, but must I remind you that I am allergic to wood? Also, my neck was killing me the whole day, so I felt like I couldn't give it my best effort. And I hadn't even had dinner, because I ate too many Lemon Whippersnappers after school with the kids and we ruined our appetites. I made the cookies after school for the kids (even though my neck hurt!) because I had just learned this shocking information from Jenn: There would be no refreshments at the Derby. I'm sorry, WHAT? No refreshments! Who would dare suggest such blasphemy? Participating in the Pine Wood Derby is just like giving blood--YOU DESERVE A COOKIE AT THE END FOR YOUR SELFLESS ACT OF SERVICE. So here we are, 1 1/2 hours in, no dinner, crying child hiding in the bathroom, other children running all over creation, neck pain (did I mention that already?), and NO COOKIES. Do we have a certificate for most indulgent whining?
After what seemed like an eternity to everyone--my heart goes out to the other leaders who worked and worked to finally bring the evening to a merciful end--we were on our way home, first stopping at Wendy's for a little dinner. At 9:30 we sat around our table eating from the bounty of the 99 cent menu and reflecting on the night's activities and the blessed realization that the next Derby woouldn't come for at least a year. Unfortunately we will have two scouts in the Derby by then.....

8 comments:

rebecca said...

OK, I love the Twinkie!!! What an awesome car. There isn't one thing lame about it....nor your diet; lemon whippersnappers followed by Wendy's.
PS. I have to say Thomas would be in the ditch if it weren't for Wayne's help with his PWD cars.
PPS. We are all silently glad that there is only one more PWD for Thomas and many years before we start this all over again with Wesley.

Carrie said...

At least your childs car was painted....Jake's was always fresh out of box and the wheels slapped on. At least his had a great name! By the way, I love twinkies!

I think the little sisters are the only ones who look forward to those scout activities! I was like Josie, sweaty and running all over the church. Good times. I CANNOT believe there were no refreshements! I am sure that cub master will be released soon.....wait, maybe that was his plan all along!

Adrienne said...

Oh my gosh. I can't say how much I hate those things. If 351 scouts enter, there should be 351 prizes. End of story. I hate competition. I hate winners and losers. And I think I'm going to schedule all our vacations over the future PWD's that my Nat will have to attend. Because I too HATES them, my precious!

TheBenandKaties said...

I guess that I'm different from the rest of your friends because I LOVE the PWD. I absolutely refuse to make regular cars however. My Elder's quorum has a PWD each year and the first year I recreated one of the world's most famous golf holes, and last year I made the Sphinx. (I'll send you some pictures on FB.) Here's my proposition: I'll make your PWD cars if you make halloween costumes.

My Five Little Monkeys said...

Cousin Ben, I am sending you 7 PWD boxes tomorrow. You can complete them at your leisure. Please let me know your themes for the next several Halloweens.

Regards,

Cousin Julie

(and PLEASE send along those pics as promised. Somehow the whole thing sounds so much more inviting when one is going strictly for (funny) looks and not speed.)

Michaelson Family said...

Julie,
This post is one of my favs! Everything about it made me laugh...
I love that you have to prepare a gluten free, chocolate free, nut free snack...WHAT A TASK! I would like to know what snacks you offer. :)
...and the twinkie...
CLASSIC.

Michaelson Family said...

Ha ha...totally not your fault. Though I am going to miss your black knee high boots.
I wasn't even asked if I still wanted to teach. I guess the best teachers just get released...what can I say? They just see excellence in me. :)

Organic air popped popcorn with organic butter?!!! Ha. Good one.
Just feed them air and water. Picky eaters are not allowed in my house. You are so much kinder than I am. I would just send them home.

shayla said...

allergic to wood, huh?! Love it! And the twinkie most certainly should have won something BIG! Bravo! If it was up to me, ours would look like Carrie's year after year...I do think that next year a smorgasbord is called for being that PWD is right during the middle of the bewitching hour! And why wouldn't Tommy wear a tie...to church? He's a smart cookie.