Last night Pie and I and the children threw caution, hygiene and homework to the wind and set out around dinner time to head down to the Garden of the gods in Colorado Springs, to visit an old school chum of Pie's. Our first stop, naturally, was The Wendy's, where even though we all ordered from the value menu and there weren't even drinks involved we still spent well over $11. Of course the order was wrong and everything tasted rather foul, even by fast food standards, but it was all consumed in transit and without the benefit of sauces or ketchup so not only did we save time but we didn't even look like a crime scene when we were done. I was fairly beaming.
We drove through the garden on our way to the campsite where the Watts were staying, and given all the wet and rainy weather we have had this summer the park has never looked more beautiful. Here are three pictures that I just stole off the Internet, for your viewing pleasure:


Now for the camp! Kurt and Missy Watt and their three children Brandon (?), Ethan and Amanda were friendly and welcoming, even though they only expected 4 kids and not 5. We all got on very well together and despite the constant drizzle that threatened the s'more making, we had fun running around their camp site and tracking red mud all over the inside of their camper. The kids took off with the camera and came back later with all these fabulous shots:
These two had so much fun reminiscing about their youth. Missy and I had fun sitting and chatting. A topic that I always find fun and engaging: swapping stories about when you gave your kid "the talk". Seriously, this stuff is guaranteed for a few laughs, and what better way to get to know a new friend than to laugh about each other's kids together.
Unfortunately, this is where the pictures end. We are missing a few people, and as soon as Kurt sends us the group shots he took with his camera, I will post them here.
The drive home happened later than hoped for, and it was pretty headache inducing until we played the game "Whoever falls asleep in the car will get carried up to bed", a treat that not even the biggest kid can resist. (FYI, this game was much more successful than the "Oh, do shut up" game I tried engaging the children in on the way down) Sid pretended to be asleep for the last 1/2 of the drive(score!) but couldn't keep up the facade and started to laugh when I tried to unbuckle him. Tommy drank his weight in Crystal Light at the campfire and so therefore peed his car seat (yay!). And everyone was sticky with s'more filth, so there was that. But no one got bitten by mosquitoes and we all managed to get out the door on time this morning, so our mini camp out was worth it, especially since we all slept in our own beds. Thanks for inviting us, Watts!

1 comments:
Seriously, I was so so so happy to see some new pictures on your blog today. Gosh I have missed you! Welcome back.
Take some pictures of your new house. I can't wait to see it.
When I first saw the Garden of the Gods pictures I thought you had taken them and turned into a photographer or something...little did I know that your kids are the photographers. Cute pictures of everyone. I especially like your picture...totally posing.
Post a Comment