Sunday night the kids said goodbye to Sid. He left Monday morning at 4:45 for a 50 mile hike and will be back late Friday night, smelling of the great outdoors (which--in case you were wondering--smells like camp fire and jerky and Flaming Hot Cheetos and deet and dirt.)
Tommy and Sid, bidding adieu.
Sid Monday morning, about 4:30 am, after a delicious egg and toast breakfast. I'm sure he ate a pound of those Cheetos in the car ride up.
It feels weird to have him gone, and we are all praying for him and his feet. 50 miles in 5 days is a lot of hiking in the Rocky Mountains. He will change 3500 feet of altitude in just one day on the trail. His pack weighs 23 lbs, precisely 1/3 of his body weight. Oh, and did I mention that he hates hiking? Well, he does. Just like T-Ball back in Kindergarten, I think he's in it for the snacks. Maybe on Saturday I can convince him to be a guest blogger.
3 comments:
Thanks so much for letting us steal Pie away last night. I am hoping our friends use him if they move here.
I read your comment on my blog this morning and have been thinking about it all day now. It is so true though. Thanks for writing it. I can't get it out of my head.
That is a long hike! I'd be done after Day 1. The fact that he's smiling and coming up with a convenient ailment at the onset of the adventure is a good sign, right?????
I hope he has fun. The 50 mile hike we did when I was in scouts was one of the most amazing trips I ever went on. Can't wait for the report.
Post a Comment